Monday, October 24, 2011

Idols

In the small church with its old and worn pews, the pastor spoke about idolatry.  He spoke about Hosea, a prophet whose life would become a parable and spectacle to describe that hussy of a nation, Israel.  Hosea, who had to go and buy his own prostituted wife back from the slave market.  Hosea, who had to name his children, "Not Loved", and "Not My People" as an illustration of all that was wretched and wrong with the  Chosen People.  Hosea, whose mouth could only beg his people:
 1 “Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces    but he will heal us; he has injured us    but he will bind up our wounds. 2 After two days he will revive us;    on the third day he will restore us,    that we may live in his presence. 3 Let us acknowledge the LORD;    let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises,    he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains,    like the spring rains that water the earth.”
There are times when I question why God does what He does... why He allows the wicked to prosper while the righteous faint, why He chooses such difficult and anguished paths for those He loves, why He injures those for whom His affection seems strongest.  And the answer, as the pastor described, is so that we might have the false dependencies we have built on lesser gods, those pandering, self-serving, indulgent fantasies, ripped from our hands so that we can embrace the living God.



I will remove the names of the Baals from her lips;
   no longer will their names be invoked.
18 In that day I will make a covenant for them
   with the beasts of the field, the birds in the sky
   and the creatures that move along the ground.
Bow and sword and battle
   I will abolish from the land,
   so that all may lie down in safety.
19 I will betroth you to me forever;
   I will betroth you in[e] righteousness and justice,
   in[f] love and compassion.
20 I will betroth you in[g] faithfulness,
   and you will acknowledge the LORD.
 21 “In that day I will respond,”
   declares the LORD—
“I will respond to the skies,
   and they will respond to the earth;
22 and the earth will respond to the grain,
   the new wine and the olive oil,
   and they will respond to Jezreel.[h]
23 I will plant her for myself in the land;
   I will show my love to the one I called ‘Not my loved one.[i]
I will say to those called ‘Not my people,[j]’ ‘You are my people’;
   and they will say, ‘You are my God.’”

1 comment:

Noah Roland said...

Hello everyone! my name is Noah, I'm writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR AKHIGBE that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for the past 6 months. After seeing a comment of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR AKHIGBE I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother 'I love my wife' Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or love and family relationship.  Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR AKHIGBE should contact him via Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com You  can also call or contact him via whatsapp +2349010754824.
He also treat diseases like HIV, HERPES, CANCER, ALS, CHRONIC DISEASE, HEART DISEASE, LUPUS, ASTHMA,  DIABETES, MAR-BURG VIRUS,  HEPATITIS A AND B.ECZEMA, BACK PAIN, EXTERNAL INFECTION ,ASTHMA, MALARIA, DENGUE FEVER, BACTERIA DIARRHEA, RABIES, OBESITY, INSOMNIA, PROGENITOR,  MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, EPILEPSY,STROKE, LYMPHEDEMA, GALLSTONE, DICK AND BREAST ENLARGEMENT, PULMONARY HYPERTENSION, PENIS  EJACULATION, ,   HPV, DICK ENLARGEMENT, IMPOTENCE, DENGUE, CORNELIA DISEASE, OSTEOPOROSIS, RHEUMATISM, THYROID, COLD & FLU,KIDNEY DISEASE,ACME. PROTOPLASMIC  ERYSIPELAS. etc Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbal root cure. via Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsapp him  +2349010754824   and get cured permanently He is real..website:      https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com